Thursday, April 24, 2008

Reading Guide Part 4

Part 4:

14. I believe that reading should be experienced by all the senses. I like to physically touch a book when I read it rather than read a book online. That is why we bring food that relates to our book pick to our Pulpwood Queens meetings, or have the author come visit our book club to have them read aloud from excerpts of the book or give a talk about the book. Nothing brings me more pleasure than reading a book I love, and then go see the movie, musical, or play based on that book. I think that when you envelop all five senses into the reading experience, the book becomes much more pleasurable. Do you agree or disagree, and why?


15. Some people believe that reading and book clubs are just a trend in society. People have also said this about leopard print, but judging from how much I am still seeing leopard print out there for the past 30 or 40 years, I rest my case. Do you believe that book clubs are just a trend like drinking hot Dr. Pepper with lemon like I did back in the 1970's, or do you think reading and books are here to stay?


16. I truly believe that books saved me. I came from a family that was different. Only now, after writing this book, am I beginning to question if any family is really like what you see on "Leave it to Beaver" or "Father Knows Best." What I do know is this: Reading helped me escape into another world. If I was scared, I could read a book. If I got too scared reading the book, I could close the book. I was in control of my environment instead of the other way around. What has reading done for you? Now that you have answered that question, here is an even better one: What can you do to help promote reading?